Thursday, October 6, 2011

Frontier Lexicographer

Greetings from the malarial zone.

The world has recently deemed grammar, syntax and spelling as obsolescent relics of tweed-wearing pedants. I must have been sleeping when the blackguards snuck in and slit the throat of the King's English.

But now I am awake.

Pitted against these noble prescriptivists is a new bloc of apostrophe-abusing mouth breathers who refuse to cherish the idiosyncratic conventions of our glorious bastard tongue.
Pidgin English is not inevitable. It is a compromise both unacceptable and wholly unnecessary. Language need not stagnate if grammar were upheld; rather, it should supply parameters with which to accommodate new additions to the world lexicon.

To this end, I'll use this blog-space to discuss topical etymology--new words and old words forgotten.

As always, merge with caution.
I <------> .

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Grammar is important. So is being present in class.

    ReplyDelete